(as of [price_update_date] – Details)
- How the digital age impacts education and the design process from research right through to the finished product
- Customer Profiles: demographics, psychographics, the role of advertising, and more
- Creating a unique vision with help from ethnographic research, design considerations, iconic films and their impact on fashion design, and developing a fabric story
- Cultivating your design collection through process and investigation while using Mood Boards, Garment Construction, and more
- Producing your own collections with individual exercises based on frequently used concepts for building collections including Shipping Reports, Ethnic Backgrounds, 3D/2D, Concept to Runway, Shifts in Fashion, Accessories, and more
- Strategies and tips that will help you transition from coursework to a career in fashion including tips on resumes, interviewing, portfolio presentation, and more
This updated book reflects the latest information in fashion design and development and is an ideal introduction for students, dressmakers, and anyone interested in the creative side of the fashion industry. Discover the new talent, new avenues of inspiration, and new outcomes that are now possible with a degree in fashion design.
From the Publisher
About the Author
Steve Faerm is an Associate Professor of Fashion at Parsons School of Design. He began teaching in 1998 while working for such designers as Donna Karan and Marc Jacobs, and has been awarded The University Teaching Excellence Award and The BFA Fashion Program’s Teaching Excellence Award. Steven received his BFA in Fashion Design from Parsons and his Ed.M. from Harvard University.
Fashion Design Course
Principles, Practice, and Techniques: The Practical Guide for Aspiring Fashion Designers
Becoming a successful fashion designer involves understanding a wide variety of core principles. This foundation course is an ideal introduction for students, dressmakers, and anyone interested in the creative side of fashion.
Step-by-step tutorials, practical exercises, and inspirational interviews with industry professionals teach you how to create you own unique fashion design collections.
Master these principles and techniques to develop your understanding of what makes a successful design.
Building a quantitative and qualitative body of research
Using inspirations in the design process
How fabric knowledge and color principles strengthens a designer’s message
How to evolve your own vision
This second edition has been extended, revised, and updated
With this coursebook you’ll learn how to:
Manipulate motif, texture, mood, and detail with confidence
Challenge your conceptual abilities
Discover your design vision
Develop you ideas through process and investigation
Create a dynamic portfolio that showcases your design skills and gives you the edge when you’re looking for work in this competitive but exciting industry
Covers the breadth of the fashion world, from concept to catwalk
By learning something of the history of fashion design and looking at those exponents who have left an indelible mark, you will acquire a context for the shifts involved in the world of fashion and begin to understand the evolution of the field and the revolutions that have occurred.
The core of this book outlines primary design principles that will give you a solid foundation for how to work, considers the fundamental terminologies and design processes, and looks at various approaches to creating work through challenging assignments. By exposing yourself to new methodologies of design in your development, you will acquire versatility of approach and learn about the frameworks that give you utmost creativity.
The coursebook finishes with a full preparation for the professional world by discussing types of portfolio presentations, how to create a stellar resume, tips for interviewing, and the many career possibilities related to acquiring a working knowledge of fashion design.